#Happy by @gayatri_gadre #isheeria
Welcome to my birthday carnival exploring the question –
“Do I deserve to be Happy?”
Do I deserve to be happy?
Before I wear my philosopher’s hat or start giving any tips, let me hit the nail on its head – Yes I deserve to be happy, because I believe that I deserve to be happy. In fact, every person who believes that he/she deserves to be happy, deserves to be happy. Sounds confusing? It’s not.
When I was asked this question, the first image that popped in my mind was that of my friend settled in US. During a trip to US, Shekhar – a friend of mine and his wife – Vrushali took me out for dinner. They had been in US for over 3 years. Although I was meeting Vrushali for the first time, we connected instantly. Both of them entertained me with their struggles and experiences of coming to US for the first time and the challenges they faced while adjusting to the environment there. Towards the end of our dinner, Vrushali looked in Shekhar’s eyes with a large grin and concluded “All said and done, now we are very well settled here. We deserve it! We have worked really hard for it”.
Somehow her words and the twinkle in her eyes have stuck with me all these years. To be happy one has to believe that he/she deserves to be happy. Because that belief keeps us fighting all the battles and finding solutions for problems in life till happiness is found or is at least visible in the near future. The moment we lose that belief, it is half the battle lost already. Nobody’s life is perfect. We all have our own shares of ups and downs. But people who keep fighting the battle and look for solutions turn out to be the winners. Those who think that they are destined to suffer, to pay off the karmic debts or for any other reasons, will stop all the efforts to find happiness and will make peace with their sufferings.
I have had my own phases of sufferings and I know that it is easier said than done, to continue believing that you deserve to be happy when life hits you hard in the face. So the only mantra I follow is “Keep swimming”. No matter how strong the current is, no matter how energy draining it is to swim against it, but if I keep swimming then I will move at least an inch out of the mess I am in, if I stop swimming then I will never be able to exit it and in the end I will be engulfed by it all.
Last week a dear friend told me that she decides every day to be happy and the idea really appealed to me. Happiness is a choice you make every day, every moment. She told me that even if her day starts badly or she has a hiccup in her agenda to be happy, she constantly keeps reminding herself about her resolution to be happy, and things work out better than they would have otherwise. So today, let’s make a resolution that we all will decide to be happy every day.
So here are some of practical tips from me to keep that fight on –
- Exercise!! Yes, you heard me right. Every time I feel low or think that I have lost all the belief in the world, I exercise. It makes me feel good. Trust me it is not some theory conjured by me out of thin air but it is scientifically proven that exercising releases the ‘Feel good’ hormones in our blood
- Every morning look in the mirror and tell yourself – “I am happy because I deserve to be happy” J
- In a boxing match you never lose till you keep bouncing back to your feet after every fall. If you stay lying on the floor then you are bound to lose. Similarly when life hits you and you fall down, you will not lose until you keep bouncing back
- When you are going through a rough patch, close your eyes and think of what would be a happy day or moment in the given scenario then imagine yourself swimming towards it
- Make a list of things you need to achieve that happiness. Start executing it one step at a time. That will keep despair away and every time you feel low you can tell yourself that you are already walking towards happiness and have covered some distance
- Work hard to achieve your goal of happiness. No achievement has ever been possible without hard work. Whenever you think you are not getting there, ask yourself “Am I working hard enough to deserve it?”
- Pursue a hobby, any one, that will make you happy. Those small pearls of happiness shine even brighter in dark days. Some of the hobbies are meditative and some give you nothing but pure joy. Anyhow, it will take some stress off your mind and sometimes solutions to your problem appear out of nowhere when your mind is at relaxed state
- Most importantly believe that you deserve to be happy from the bottom of your heart!
Share your tips on how you keep your chin up during a bad phase or in general to stay happy every day in the comments below.
Gayatri is an explorer of worlds, and someone I have been following on Twitter for a long time now! Thanks to the blogging world, I got to be friends with her & enjoy some quirky midnight conversations!
Thanks Gayatri for being a part of my celebrations.
About the wonderful Author:
Gayatri is an explorer and adventurer, she blogs about travel at http://b-young-forever.blogspot.com, and about her exploration of the outer world and the world inside her at http://be-explorer.blogspot.in. She is a travel influencer with strong presence on Twitter and TripAdvisor.
Her first travel ebook – ‘Off Beats’ based on 26 off the beaten track destinations was published recently.
By profession she is a Self Employed Digital Marketing professional, offering her services to organizations in India and abroad. She is enthusiastic with all things digital.
Follow her for her latest works –
Spread the #happy happiness – comment and share. #isheeria