The Home Make-Over : Space Clearing & Purification Rituals
Welcome to Part 2 of the 11 parts (weekends) series of Home Make-Over
Join us every Sunday as we clear space and make our houses and lives better, more vibrant, happy and create a holistic environment.
Read about the Introduction to the Series here: The home makeover-introduction
Space clearing and Purification rituals have been practised since time immemorial. The methods and tools have varied from one culture to another, but the intent has always been the same – to create harmony and balance in the house and environment.
These Rituals are normally done during festival time and the New Year. But I find the techniques are so simple and easy that I do them once a month in my house, and since it is done so regularly, even those who come for the first time feel very comfortable and at peace when they enter my house.
First off, clear the clutter.
- Add sea salt to the water for mopping/cleaning the house. (you can do it daily).
A Space Clearing and Purification Ritual is best done on a clear and sunny day. Open all the doors and windows. Ground yourself and become centred before you begin. The easiest way is by praying or meditating till you are in a state of calm.
I am sharing 7 Easy rituals for Space Clearing and Purification with you here.
Follow the technique which you feel comfortable with. All of them are tried and tested, and are very effective.
- # Light a fragrant incense (alt, you can light a candle or a diya) near your main door. The main door should remain open while you are doing the ritual. Choose an hour when the sun is not shining too fiercely.
Note: Do not do this Ritual if it is cloudy, raining, or if there is a storm etc.
- Go around every room clockwise, starting from the main door, ensuring that the smoke from the incense/ smudge stick (not the one at your main door) reaches all corners of your house. And end at the starting point.
- Then, take some holy water (ganga jal, or charged water) and using a flower sprinkle it in every room starting from the main door and moving in a clockwise direction till you return to the main door.
- Then clap your hands loudly 3 times. Or, use a bell/ singing bowl. The sound of it should be heard throughout the house.
- # Open all the windows and doors. Use a small havan kund with havan samagri in it, and top it with a little pure camphor.
Light the camphor and then take it around the house, moving clockwise through the house and each room. Leave the havan kund at the entrance or the centre of the house and let it burn itself out. Alternatively, you can use a smudge stick or some sage instead of the havan kund.
- # Sprinkle sea salt on the floor before you go to bed. In the morning brush away the sea salt working from the back of the house to the front, and discard it outside your house. If not comfortable with leaving the sea salt overnight, then leave it for a minimum of 3 hours before brushing it away.
Then, sprinkle some fresh flowers/ petals and place lighted candles/ diyas around the house.
When you feel it is appropriate sweep the petals away.
Let the candles / diyas burn down on their own.
- # My personal favourite…. I take some sage around the house.
Then, I light a candle /diya and surround it with flower petals.
After the candle/ diya has burnt down on it’s own you can remove them. I prefer to remove them at the end of the day.
(I also find it visually to be a very soothing view which emanates a positive energy)
- # Recite some mantras, or have light chanting in the background, or sit with your singing bowl/ bell.
To close off, clap loudly 3 times, or ring a bell / hand chimes etc.
This you can also do on a cloudy, rainy day.
- # Imagine a giant, powerful sieve under your house. Focus your mind on it.
When you feel connected to the sieve ask it to gradually lift and remove all the impurities and negativity from your house.
Visualize it gradually lifting up from the base of your house and taking away all the impurity and negativity, and leaving behind harmony, happiness, and prosperity behind. Continue to visualize the sieve lifting higher and higher and with it removing all that is unwanted in your life.
Then visualize the sieve moving up through the roof of your house and floating away and taking all the negativity away.
Visualize a blue light permeating and filling every nook and cranny of your house.
Place some fresh flowers and incense in the centre of your house.
- # Stand at the entrance of your house. Hold the bell/ singing bowl/ hand chimes/ or,your hands next to your heart and imagine pure joy and love filling it.
Then slowly begin to walk around your house clockwise, working your way through each room. As you walk ring the bell/ singing bowl/ hand chimes/ clap your hands and know that your intention is being carried on the vibrations of sound into every corner of the rooms and the house.
Then, ring the bell/ singing bowl/ hand chimes, or clap your hands 3 times.
- Wait till the last sound has completely settled. In the silence that follows, imagine golden light filling the entire room, and the complete space has been Blessed.
Then move on to the next room.
- When you have completed your circle around the house and have come back to your starting point – Look into your house, smile, and give heartfelt thanks that your house is a Blessed House.
After I finish my Rituals, I like to stand at my main door, open it, and with arms outstretched to touch the sides of the doorway and say-
“God Bless this House and all who enter through this doorway/ portal. May they find peace and happiness.” Repeat this 3 times. “ So Be It”.
- If you like, you can do these rituals once a month.
- You can do a different ritual, or the same one , every time. The choice is yours!
- These Rituals can also be done in an office, showroom, or a factory.
- While doing my House Rituals I like to open all the doors and windows of the house, and have light chanting in the background.
NOTE: these Rituals are for where you are currently residing.
There are special Rituals for Cleansing and Purifying a house that you are moving into, whether your own or a rented one.
If you are moving homes, and want to know the specific rituals – drop us a message and we would be happy to help out.
NEXT WEEK: Removing negativity from your personal space – Definitely an important once as the festivities are around the corner!
Do you have a favourite ritual? Share with us in the comments below.
Try one of these -and tell us about you experience with it – Have a question? Drop us a comment below – We love conversations.
Did you LIKE this article and found it to be helpful? Share this post!
Using salt water for mopping sounds good and using incense sticks also helps to create a different atmosphere at home.
Alvina Ariz says
Using saltwater I never heard that method would try in future glad to know about your rituals
Varsha aka Yogita says
OMG! Read this at the right time 🙂
We plan to do 1 more Home Cleaning session post Diwali and this will come super handy. Especially will try the salt thing and others things too. I’m planning to order sage too 🙂
Using salt water I heard about it. I will try other methods too which you mentioned.
This is awesome, I never thought of using sea salt for mopping , that’s a good idea. Incense fragrance is always a great idea.
Space cleaning is a very useful and important process for our home. The idea of using incense sticks during the process sounds so peaceful.
This is so helpful and very well explained. Even all the space cleaning rituals are easy to perform
Will try this, these techniques are totally new for me. Will start with the simpler ones.
Mrinal Kiran says
Wow… I was really feeling heavy and needed some cleansing… I will surely follow this before Diwali… I hope the heaviness is lifted from my house and my mood! Thank you for sharing!
Amrit Kaur says
I use salt water to cut off the negativity from my home as well as my life. This is an informative post to clear surroundings.