What to do during a Solar Eclipse?
solar eclipse of 2022 will occur on 30 April 2022. It is a partial eclipse and
will start at 00:15 am IST on 1 May 2022 and end at 4:07 am IST on 1 May 2022.
Since the eclipse is occurring in the night it will not be visible in India.
This eclipse will be visible where it is occurring during the day time, that is in South America, the Pacific region, the Atlantic and Antarctic regions.
This solar eclipse is a rare one because not only is the no moon day (Amavas) on a Saturday but also that Saturn itself is transitioning into its mool trikona Rashi just a day earlier, that is on 29/4/22. You can read more about the Saturn transit here.
The normal taboos (sutak) around the occurrence of an eclipse do not apply to this eclipse as it is not visible in India.
For those who strictly adhere to the old order or are currently living where the eclipse is visible – all due precautions and rituals should be adhered to. In fact, I would suggest that if one is pregnant, old, ill or very young they should adhere to the rituals immaterial of whether the eclipse is visible or invisible to where one is staying.
Do’s and Don’t’s –
From 12 hours before the commencement of the eclipse one should:
- Avoid any auspicious act or celebration of any kind.
- Avoid stepping outside
- Close the temple doors, and avoid any rituals and prayers etc.
women should avoid using any kind of sharp or pointed instrument or tool, and
also not lift anything heavy.
In fact it is suggested that they should not stoop.
- It is preferable not to have any cooked food in the house but if you do have, then place a tulsi leaf on it.
- During the eclipse one should not eat anything.
During the eclipse one should:
It is suggested that during the timing of the eclipse one should meditate or better still do mantra jaap, that is, chant a mantra of the God you believe in. Alternatively, you can chant the Gayatri Mantra or Shivji’s mantra [ Om Namah Shivay ] during this time.
After the eclipse one should:
- After the eclipse, it is suggested that you clean the house, preferably sweep with saltwater.
- Bathe with holy water (Ganga Jal or any holy water).
- You should make fresh food. If the food is already prepared, then only eat the food on which Tulsi leaf had been placed.
Things you can do on the day of the eclipse:
- Donate to a poor and needy person
- Feed a cow
- Donate satnaja (mix of 7 grains) or gehun (wheat grain)
IMPORTANT – the effect of an eclipse lasts for 40-50 days minimum.
Dates to keep in mind:
On Saturday you can do the remedies that you do for Amavasya.
The remedies specific for the eclipse are to be done on Monday.
factor to take into account is where is this eclipse occurring in your personal
horoscope and how will it impact your life.
More on this in another article, or contact us today for a personal reading.
The next eclipse is a Full Lunar eclipse on 16 May 2022 – subscribe to be the first to know more about the eclipse and things to do for auspicious benefits.